The first big sporting event of 2021 is upon us, as Conor McGregor takes on Dustin Poirier in tonight’s UFC 275 pay-per-view event on ESPN+.
The big fight airs live from “Fight Island” in Abu Dhabi, where the UFC has held a number of its PPV events since the coronavirus pandemic first hit in March. As with all UFC events from 2020, safety precautions mean there will be no spectators allowed in attendance, and all fighters and their team members will need to pass a Covid test before being allowed into the ring.
UFC 257 info
- Date: Saturday, Jan. 23
- Location: Flash Forum — Yas Island, Abu Dhabi
- Start time: 10 p.m. ET (Main card)
UFC Fight Card :
Here is the full, final fight card…
- Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
- Michael Chandler vs. Dan Hooker
- Jessica Eye vs. Joanne Calderwood
- Andrew Sanchez vs. Makhmud Muradov
- Marina Rodriguez vs. Amanda Ribas
- Arman Tsarukyan vs. Matt Frevola
- Brad Tavares vs. Antonio Carlos Junior
- Julianna Pena vs. Sara McMann
- Khalil Rounree Jr vs. Marcin Prachnio
- Nik Lentz vs. Movsar Evloev
- Amir Albazi vs Zhalgas Zhumagulov
UFC Start time :
The card is not finalized, but based on previous UFC times, this is what we expect…
- The main card starts Jan. 23, 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT).
- The prelims start Jan. 23, 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).
- The early prelims start Jan. 23, 6.30 p.m. ET (3.30 p.m. PT).
- The main card starts Jan. 24, 3 a.m. GMT.
- The prelims start Jan. 24, 1 a.m. GMT.
- The early prelims start Jan 23, 11.30 p.m. GMT.
- The main card starts Jan. 24, 2 p.m. AEDT.
- The prelims start Jan. 24, 12 p.m. AEDT.
- The early prelims start Jan. 24, 10.30 a.m. AEDT
UFC 257 Fight Predictions :
Tonight’s lightweight bout will be a rematch of Poirier and McGregor’s 2014 fight at UFC 178, which McGregor won by TKO in the first round. Poirier last fought in June, defeating Dan Hooker by unanimous decision. McGregor meantime, last fought almost exactly one year ago, needing just 40 seconds to take down Donald Cerrone at UFC 246. The Irish superstar announced his retirement a few months later, but has apparently been lured back into the ring for a tantalizing rematch with Poirier.
While many gave McGregor the advantage in 2014, the two are more evenly matched this time around, with Poirier (26-6-0) and McGregor (22-4-0) both weighing in at 155 pounds, with almost identical reach and leg reach. Vegas oddsmakers have McGregor as the overwhelming favorite in the fight, though Poirier has said he’s adjusted both his physical and mental strategy to take on Mr. Notorious.
Aside from McGregor vs. Poirier, the rest of the UFC 257 fight card is packed with a lot of juicy matchups. The lightweight co-main event features the aforementioned Hooker taking on Michael Chandler, in Chandler’s UFC debut. The third lightweight bout pits Ottman Azaitar vs. Matt Frevola, with Azaitar looking to extend his perfect 13-0 record as he squares off against “The Steamrolla.”
Two women’s bouts are also on the UFC 257 fight card. Amanda Ribas takes on Marina Rodriguez in the women’s strawweight fight, while a lightweight matchup sees Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Eye.